Yum and yummy! As always, I seek dairy/egg-free alternatives for my favorite desserts. I finally stumbled across a recipe that I have tweaked to my own preferences. The result – vegan brownies even Troy will gobble up! They are rich in dark chocolate, not too sweet, and moist – even with the whole wheat flour, which I find can often leave desserts a bit dry.
2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic raw (Demerara) sugar
3/4 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (10.5oz) can organic coconut milk (Be sure to shake the can well to mix the solid/liquid which may have separated in the can)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or preferred – I use sunflower oil)
1/2 cup rice milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– A splash of Agave Nectar if you prefer sweeter brownies
– 1/2 cup of crushed walnuts and/or 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (Heaven!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. Pour in coconut milk, rice milk, oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. *If adding optional items, stir in at this point.
4. Spread evenly in a prepared pan. I use 11×7 for thicker brownies, but if you want thinner results, go for the 9×13 inch baking pan.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Be sure to let cool for at least 10 minutes before digging in!
If you have a chance to make these brownies, I’d love to hear what you think… Cheers!
Inspiration recipe courtesy of ‘SandyWifey31S’ as retrieved from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-brownies/.